Matthew's Blog

My writing outlet

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Twitter, or the lack thereof

I deactivated my Twitter account today. Before I get messages telling me that this was stupid, let me explain why.

I had 55ish followers. I think 1 of them was someone I actually knew in real life. The others were sports figures and a couple literary agents I didn't know. I can't pretend that I am really concerned about what Drew Brees or LeBron James has to say in 160 characters.

I never use Twitter for anything worthwhile. I put links to things I've written every once in a while, but I don't think I've ever tracked an incoming click to my blog from Twitter. Obviously my followers do not care much about what I'm blogging about. I'm assuming that other links I've put up have had slightly better results (they definitely cannot be worse). I don't run my own site anymore and the precious few clicks I was getting on the sites I ran before didn't come from Twitter, either.

I don't ever update it. When I update Twitter, it's ALWAYS as an afterthought. I really don't like the medium and everything on it seems awkward to me.

Twitter might be worthwhile to some people, but I really saw no benefits from the site. I am not saying that this will apply to every person, the Pope and Justin Bieber probably get a lot of web traffic because of it, but I saw no sense in continuing the facade of remembering to put stuff there. One less site I have to worry about.

Disclaimer: I am still using Twitter for my client's web sites. This is not my personal writing, but rather a Twitter page dedicated to helping health and senior care professionals get more information. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home