Matthew's Blog

My writing outlet

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Delicate Work

Anyone who has ever begun working on a novel knows that keeping the novel on course and alive is a very delicate balance. You need to grow the story, but you also need to make sure that it doesn't waver or falter. My thriller suddenly broke down into three separate stories. This was fine at first as it made for a very exciting read. But when the plots separate themselves too much, it just doesn't work to keep them all in the same novel. So now my thriller has been decimated. All of the 30,000 words I had written have been broken down into three different novels, none of which I have had the desire to work on since realizing that they are very separate stories.

I still think that at least two of the stories have novel potential, but after this schism, I began work on a bunch of little projects, one which, in the matter of two weeks, had become a 30,000 word manuscript itself. This was really exciting for me, it had taken months of work for my previous work in progress to get to that point. But this project soon became very clear that it was not novel material. Instead, I have decided to work on it as a graphic novel.

I have been privileged to know many great artists and I am really excited to be working with Rachel Eames on this. It's a science fiction piece, which is quite unusual for me as I typically have written fantasy when I deal with spec fiction. But this piece is extremely important to me and I am really looking forward to moving in a positive direction with this. Stay tuned for more updates.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home